Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Memoirs

I love reading personal memoirs.  Especially memoirs with stories I can relate to, like growing up in the 70s and 80s, going to Catholic school, trips to Disney.  I would LOVE to write my own memoir, but I just can't think of anything in my life that would be interesting to write about.  How do these writers have such interesting and funny lives?  Especially as children?  My life was filled with anxiety and stress, worrying about the world ending in the year 2000 (thanks, Mom!), going to hell for any little thing I did or thought (thanks nuns in high school!) and Bloody Mary and other legends that were very real to me (still can't look in a mirror in the dark; thanks, 70s weirdness!).

I guess I could write about all that, but isn't there a glut of memoirs in the bookstores written by stressed-out, middle-aged women trying to make sense of their lives?  Is there a spot for me? Would anybody really care that Sister Mary Meany scared the hell out of me on a daily basis whenever I had to pass her in the hallway?


These are the kinds of things that run through my mind.  Fascinating!

No comments: